October 31, 2017
At Delta Dental, we emphasize the connection between your oral health and overall health. We know that maintaining your oral health will provide benefits to your entire health. And because of this connection, if you have a specific health condition, additional oral health care can be beneficial.
So we, at Delta Dental, offer enhanced benefits. Our enhanced benefits program, called Healthy Smiles, Healthy Lives®, covers extra cleanings and exams for members with certain health conditions. You may be eligible to receive this extra care for little or no increase in your dental premium. And the extra care will improve not only your oral health, but your overall health. Check your current plan to confirm your eligibility or if you’d like to enroll, visit our website, or talk with your dentist.
The program benefits are based on your dental plan and your medical condition. The benefits may include additional cleanings, periodontal maintenance and fluoride treatments. Here are some examples of conditions that may be eligible for the enhanced benefits program, as listed by the Delta Dental Plans Association:
- Cancer-related chemotherapy or radiation treatments. While under these treatments, you may have a weakened immune system and dry mouth. This can put you at increased risk for cavities and gum infection.
- Diabetes. If you have diabetes, you are more susceptible to periodontal disease. Extra cleanings may help improve your periodontal health.
- Periodontal (gum) disease. You may prevent tooth loss that can result from periodontal disease with more frequent visits and additional dental care.
- Cardiovascular diseases or stroke. If you have cardiovascular disease, you share many of the risk factors with those who have gum disease.
- Kidney failure or dialysis. If you have kidney disease, additional preventive care may help you decrease dental infections, which can be harmful to your kidney functions.
- Pregnant women. If you’re pregnant, hormonal changes can make your mouth more vulnerable to bacteria and developing gum problems. Good preventive care and extra cleanings can help avoid those issues.
- Suppressed immune systems. More oral exams and cleanings may help you if you have a weakened immune system, including if you have HIV or if you have received an organ transplant. These extra cleanings can help you avoid mouth infections and improve your quality of life.
Again, please be sure to confirm your eligibility before treatment by contacting us directly or asking your dentist to contact us. You may have to sign up for the enhanced benefits program before receiving the extra coverage.